Sunday, July 8, 2007

It is a interesting read, but I got this forwarded to me, but honestly what is up with Sisters and mirrors...?

Here's the deal... I need to see if my scarf covers all of my hair, and that it comes down far enough to cover that which should be covered. I need to be able to see if my hijab isn't really hijab... you know a little curve may be showing here or there, but I can't see because.... I need more mirrors! I need to be able to identify areas that need improvement without having to hear one word that this is what is wrong. You see mirrors don't talk back, but they show what's apparent without words, the good and the bad. I need to know that some things are actually in place and that I am not a total mess...

I need...

I need..

I need...


Seriously!!! I need more mirrors.

Maybe my approach is wrong, maybe I shouldn't be looking for more mirrors but looking at the mirrors that are available to me. Alhumdulillah I get to look in mirrors some Tuesdays and Thursdays, and most Fridays, but my look into them are so brief. Sometimes when I am at the store I get a glimpse into a mirror. Alhumdulillah for the glimpse. I don't think anyone can ever have too many mirrors, but thats just me. When I do get the opportunity to look into mirrors though... MashaAllah I see things that are sooooo beautiful! I see beautiful application of hijab... I see self respect and self assurance. I see a thirst for knowledge and a willingness to share the knowledge already held. I see a sister who cares about her family and the community, and actively works toward helping others. I mean just.... MashaAllah!

Hehehe... at the point you are probably saying this sister needs to stop looking into mirrors because she may get full of herself ^_^ I would be inclined to agree with this observation, but I am not talking about myself. I am not talking about mirrors that can be bought in a store. The mirrors I am talking about are my fellow sisters in Islam. MashaAllah, every time I am able to be in a gathering with them, I learn something that I can improve on without anyone ever saying a word that this is a flaw in myself. They are such an inspiration to me.

Maybe we all need more mirrors, or maybe we just need to look into the ones available to us. How often do we look into our "mirrors", but don't really look? InhaAllah by appreciating the mirrors I have available to me, will open doors that give me access to more mirrors ^_^. Cause I need to look into more mirrors.

2 comments:

Zahra Billoo said...

Interesting.

TaSnEeM said...

I really liked this. Very well written!