Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Life in the great North

Having lived north of the border for the past 3 1/2 years, I've had quite an experience living as an American in the land of Canucks. My first year especially. Whenever I would meet new people and extended in laws, upon hearing that I was an American, all the "uncles" would let loose and vent all their frustrations against the Bush Administration to me. They thought that since I was an American, I would somehow be able to convey all their personal complaints to Dubya himself. Hello people...just because I'm an American doesn't mean I agree with everything, let alone have connections to Dubya.

What's up with that?

4 comments:

Muneer Adhami said...

that's great! funny stuff maryam

Hussam Ayloush said...

Funny, I have to go through the same challenge when talking to my relatives in the Middle East. It is almost like I have to start every conversation with a disclaimer that I do not know the President nor do I support his policies. I also add that most of my fellow Americans don't either.

How about a petition to make Dubya the president of Albania since they like him so much over there?

Sharaf Mowjood said...

I would tell them, "When I was living in the US, we didn't even know Canada existed. We just thought it was some territory of ours." That will shut them up. And what are they going to do to you when you say that...shoot you? Canada has no guns! HA!

I have to do the same when I go to Sri Lanka. Instead of explaining my dislike for our current president, I just ask them , "so how are ya'll doing on that civil war?" or, "how's that Tsunami recovery coming along?"


That shuts them up.

Asma said...

ooooooooooooh sharaf's blog comment requires a whole blog entry...you are entering into dangerous territory my friend...